Monday, August 24, 2020

My Needed Experience

When you make a lot of phone calls, you are bound to have a lot of different experiences. Happy people, angry one, ones that are confused, one that don't want to talk to you at all, one's that are glad you called and ones that just want to talk. The ones that want to just talk can be hard, because I'm not really good with small talk and also, I have a list of others that I need to call. The other day I got someone who talked a lot. After I did what I needed to he asked when I grew up and graduated from. It was a little weird, but I thought it was ending soon, so it wasn't bad. He told me where he graduated from, a little town in Idaho he thought I'd never heard of. He was surprised when I said I have family who lives there. He then when on and asked if I could Google something for him real quick. I thought it would be directions, but it was the title of a book. I found it and he said the woman was his wife. She got dementia and he took care of her. He loved her so much and it was a really hard thing for him to do. He knew that there has to be others out there like him and so he started to write down his experiences and time spent caring for the woman he loved.  After she passes he wanted to make a book to help others through the same trial. Again, I'm not good with words, but I thought it was so sweet that he shared this. He them asked if someone has ever recited a poem from memory over the phone. I could honestly say no to that. Then he said sit back and just listen and he started...


Should you go first and I remain,
To walk the road alone,
I'll live in memory's garden, dear,
With happy days we've known.
In Spring I'll wait for roses red,
When fades the lilac blue,
In early Fall when brown leaves call
I'll catch a glimpse of you.

Should you go first and I remain,
For battles to be fought,
Each thing you've touched along the way
Will be a hallowed spot.
I'll hear your voice, I'll see your smile,
Though blindly I may grope,
The memory of your helping hand
Will buoy me on with hope.

Should you go first and I remain,
To finish with the scroll,
No length 'ning shadows shall creep in
To make this life seem droll.
We've known so much of happiness,
We've had our cup of joy,
And memory is one gift of God
That death cannot destroy.

Should you go first and I remain,
One thing I'd have you do:
Walk slowly down that long, lone path,
For soon I'll follow you.
I'll want to know each step you take
That I may walk the same,
For some day down that lonely road
You'll hear me call your name.

This was a one of a kind experience to have happen. In the short time I talked with this person, you could sense the love he had for his wife, how much he misses her and how much people need someone to talk to. I now need to get this book and read it. This happened about a week or so ago and I think about this poem often. Before I hung up the phone, I thanked him for this and wished him well. I need it to remind myself to pause sometimes and take a breath. I don't need to make call after call after call. Taking 20 minutes to just listen to someone can change your whole day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment