Thursday, September 24, 2020

Too Close to Home

We have been in this COVID pandemic since March. While I've never really feared COVID, I did get it wasn't to be taken lightly and something to be cautious about. My personal experience with it has been different that most, but I'm not sure there is a right or wrong  way to experience it. I was never able to just stay home, or work from home, in fact I did the opposite, I traveled between two towns. We have always taken the needed precautions, and while I do try not to judge people, I do get mad when others don't. It's really very simple and we have a lot of family who are high risk, so I want them to be safe. COVID is just a thing that is happening, it's just a statistic, it's just the reason life is weird now. It doesn't have anything to do with me, until it does, and that's when it hits. 

Sunday we went to Twin to take the kids back. Emery said her body hurt. I didn't think much of it because they swam all weekend and did 2 hours of jumping the day before. Then Monday she still hurt. Again, didn't think much. No fever, no other symptoms, maybe just a long weekend of not sleeping caught up. Tuesday she was supposed to go to school but said she hurt. I thought maybe she just didn't want to go, and if we did send her, she'd be sent home anyways for body aches. When Wednesday came and she felt the same and finally got a little warm, we got her tested. They tested for flu and COVID. Flu was negative and I would have bet anything that she just had a virus but not COVID. I fun birthday present, a COVID test that is shoved down your nose. As I was driving to work today I got a call from an NP. I should have known right then, but didn't. He told me Emery's test came back and she was positive. I was shocked, I still am. I called work and am not going today, and not sure when I can go. I had to go pick up the boys and all of the kids are out for 2 weeks from school. Thankfully they can do some online. We had to call everyone we came in contact with over the weekend. The domino effect of COVID is intense. Emery was in her bed when I got back home and I asked how she was. She was upset saying she is scared and is scared the boys will have to get tested. I let her know She will be okay. She may only feel bad for a week or so, and then she will feel better. After calling everyone I finally sat down to think. The rushed unpacking of Jacksons backpack to get onto school when he found out he can't go. I hope no one else gets sick, but we are a close family, so the odds aren't good. Emery is now part of the numbers, and COVID is more real than it ever has been 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment