Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Lessons Learned

The kids went to Grandma and Grandpa Arrington's to watch a session of conference and play BINGO. They do every time it's on and they love it and look forward to it every time. This time Cam won some cookies that he can make at home. A goal I have for the year is to let them learn to cook and to try and be patient enough to let them do it. I told Cam to go ahead and read and make it himself and to ask if he had questions. He came to me a while later and said he things he did something wrong. Instead of 1 tablespoon he added 1 CUP of milk. We tired to add lots of powered sugar to thicken it up, but it didn't work out too well. It just made a lot and it was too sugary. To make it even better he put them in the oven just as Emery and I started dinner and we forgot about them and they were nice and brown by the time we remembered them. 

Jackson is doing really well with reading lately and it's fun to see him sound things out. He brings home these little books to read for homework each week. The other day he had one that had backpack in it. He saw the picture then looked at the work and was confused. He told me, "it's packpack but there's a B." Since he says the word wrong, reading it didn't make sense to him. I had to explain to him it's actually called Backpack and he just said it different. All of the kids have had moments like these when they start reading more. 

This year I also have been trying to take a more relaxed approach to piano. Being the teacher and mom makes it hard to not listen to them practice and get annoyed when I know they aren't doing what I told them to do. I am there if they need help, but try and stay away when they practice. It has been a LOT nicer and I think the kids have done so much better this year. Emery is doing well and finally starting to play 'real' songs, song she knows. I have a classical book for her to play from and I gave her the song "Hallelujah" by Handel. It took her a second to figure the word and when she did saw was really excited and thought I have her a song by Panic at the Disco. Not sure they are in classical books just yet. She was a little disappointed once she found that out. 

A while ago we had an interesting night with Camden. The boys have usually had all the same friends and gone everywhere together. Most parents know they're twins and are fine having them both over if they ever go places. Camden had a friend call who asked if he could stay the night. If they don't mention the other one, we don't just assume that they mean both, and this was the first sleepover that either had been invited to ALONE. Cam was excited right at first then once he realized it was just him he slowly got more and more nervous. We told him to go and have fun and not worry about  home. Well at about 9 ish we got a call saying he wanted to come home. He didn't like the idea of being without Beck all night. I can't say I blame him, I hated sleepovers when I was under about 12 or so, so I got his nerves. I explained to the mom it was his first try at a sleepover without his twin. She didn't know he was a twin and understood. However a few weeks later he had a fun night with Uncle Paul and Beck was sick, so again he had to go alone. It did help that it was a family's house and he's been there before. I have a feeling next year will be interesting in parts. They have both signed up for different electives (yes they get elective classes next year) and will start having different friends too. Soon they won't just be a package deal for everything. It's exciting and scary and bitter sweet all at the same time. Why do they get old so fast?!

No comments:

Post a Comment